Three Unique Trading Methods.
One Highly Liquid and Regulated FX Marketplace.
Take advantage of our liquid, anonymous, cost-efficient and centrally cleared FX options marketplace. We are the largest regulated FX marketplace and one of the top two FX platforms in the world. Trade any of our 31 options contracts based on 20 global currencies.
Click to Enlarge
Our 31 FX options contracts offer you more choices
- Major or emerging-market currencies
- Two quoting conventions: Premium – or volatility-based quoting
- Whether you prefer quoting in terms of premium or implied volatility, the underlying option contract is identical, making it easier than ever to compare options contract prices with OTC cash contracts.
- Premium - The price paid by the purchaser of an option to the grantor (seller).
- Implied volatility – An estimate of the future volatility of the underlying contract that can be input into a theoretical valuation model to solve for an option premium.
- Two expiration styles: American- or European-style expiration
- Having a choice of American- or European-style options provides you the ability to execute a larger variety of strategies based on your trading style.
- American-style options – Can be exercised at the choice of the holder, on any day up until the day prior to expiration. On the day of expiration, these options are automatically exercised if in-the-money, based on a daily fix calculated and published by CME Group at 2:00 p.m. CT, 3:00 p.m. ET.*
- European-style options – Can only be exercised at maturity and are automatically exercised on expiration if in-the-money, based on a daily fix calculated and published by CME Group at 9:00 a.m. CT, 10:00 a.m. ET on the day of expiration.*
Three Unique Ways to Access our FX Options
On CME Globex
Speed, Transparency, Access and Liquidity
- 60 percent of our FX options average daily volume is traded electronically on CME Globex.
When you trade our FX options on CME Globex, you will benefit from:
- Access to a diverse and global customer base
- A 5 to 7 millisecond response time where trades are executed and instantly confirmed back to you no matter where you are in the world – significantly faster than competing electronic platforms
- 1,000 direct connections in more than 90 countries and foreign territories
- Telecommunication hubs in London, Amsterdam, Dublin, Milan, Paris, Singapore, Sao Paulo and Seoul
- Free real-time quotes for FX options, visit E-quivalents
- The guarantee of CME Clearing, which ensures the soundness of your trades by virtually eliminating counterparty credit risk
View a quick guide to FX options on CME Globex (PDF)
On the floor
Access Voice Trading Benefits
- Quick set up and nearly instant access to liquidity, direct from the floor, with voice brokers and floor traders interacting on your behalf to facilitate price discovery and efficient execution. (No connection infrastructure or front end systems required.)
Private Negotiation with Security of CME Clearing
* For information on the daily fix, please refer to FX Fixing Price Methodology, to get the latest information on the procedure used to calculate the daily fix and Fixing Prices to get the most recently published daily fix values.