Key Takeaways with Craig
Instead of reiterating the events that continue to unfold and that have dominated both financial and standard news headlines, we’re simply going to recap some of today’s market moves in this edition of In FOCUS.
- Equity Index futures were lower by between 1 and 1.5% but closed off of today’s lowest levels and the associated options are trading at implied volatilities we haven’t seen since the Fall of 2020
- Gold rose another 2.5% today and, similar to equities, implied volatility is at 15+ month highs
- CME Grains futures prices rose by another 5% today. We’ve graphed 5 years of price and volatility in Wheat futures below. The QuikStrike graph illustrates the dramatic increase we’ve seen in both. At 75%, Wheat options 30-day implied volatility is trading higher than Bitcoin implied volatility
- Speaking of Bitcoin, cryptocurrency prices, which had been behaving like “risk assets” and selling off with the stock market, reversed that trend over the last day and staged strong rallies, even as equity prices declined
- WTI Crude Oil futures prices were up by over 10% today and implied volatility in the options is trading at levels we haven’t seen in 18 months
- US Treasury prices rallied (yields fell) despite the persistent inflation numbers we’ve seen
Thanks again to all of our In FOCUS readers and we’ll see you tomorrow.
Todays Featured Videos
Today's Future Price Action
The information in the market commentaries have been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but we do not guarantee its accuracy and expressly disclaim all liability. Neither the information nor any opinions expressed therein constitutes a solicitation of the purchase or sale of any futures or options contracts. The information on this site compiled by CME Group is for general purposes only. All information and data herein is provided as-is. Additionally, all examples on this site are hypothetical situations, used for explanation purposes only, and should not be considered investment advice or the results of actual market experience. CME Group assumes no responsibility for any errors or omissions. CME Group, its affiliates and any third party information and content providers expressly disclaim all liability with respect to the information and data contained herein including without limitation, any liability with respect to the accuracy or completeness of any data. You use the data herein solely at your own risk. All data and information provided herein is not intended for trading purposes or for trading advice. All matters pertaining to rules and specifications herein are made subject to and superseded by official CME, CBOT, NYMEX and COMEX rules. Current rules should be consulted in all cases concerning contract specifications.
Neither futures trading nor swaps trading are suitable for all investors, and each involves the risk of loss. Due to the leveraged nature of futures trading and swaps trading, it is possible to lose more than the amount deposited in a position. Therefore, traders should not deposit more funds than they can afford to lose without negatively affecting their lifestyles. A trader cannot expect to profit on each trade, and should only devote a small amount of their available funds to each trade. All references to options refer to options on futures.
Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future performance.
CME Group, the Globe Logo, Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Globex and CME are trademarks of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. CBOT is the trademark of the Board of Trade of the City of Chicago, Inc. NYMEX is the trademark of the New York Mercantile Exchange, Inc. COMEX is a trademark of Commodity Exchange, Inc. All other marks are the property of their respective owners. Each of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. (ARBN 103 432 391), The Board of Trade of the City of Chicago Inc (ARBN 110 594 459), the New York Mercantile Exchange Inc (ARBN 113 929 436) and Commodity Exchange, Inc. (ARBN 622 016 193) is a registered foreign company in Australia and holds an Australian market licence.
This site does not constitute a prospectus, product disclosure statement or legal advice, nor is it a recommendation to buy, sell or retain any specific investment or to utilise or refrain from utilising any particular service. Readers should consult their legal advisors for legal advice in connection with the matters covered on this site.