At-a-Glance

Key Takeaways with Craig

US Equity Indexes sold off again today to finish another week in the “red” and US Treasury yields were little changed, as the market looks to next week’s FOMC decision on its Fed Funds target rate.  CME’s FedWatch tool is currently showing an 84% probability of a 75 basis point hike and 16% probability of a 100 basis point hike at that meeting.  So, as we’ve moved through the halfway point in the historically volatile month of September, let’s take a look at the net price and implied volatility (“vol”) changes in some of CME’s major products so far this month using QuikStrike data:

  • US Equity Index prices are down substantially and implied volatility in the options markets has risen sharply. 
  • WTI Crude Oil futures prices are down by about 14% month to date while vol is up a bit.
  • Euro FX futures prices are down versus the US Dollar but the Euro is trading above parity again.
  • Micro 10-Year Treasury Yields are up 27% (about 75 basis points) this month and vol in the options is also higher.  The 2s versus 10s inversion is currently at about 42 basis points (the Micro 2-Year Yield futures contract is priced about 42 basis points higher than the Micro 10-Year Yield). 
  • Natural Gas prices are down by about 5% but a lot of that decline has come in the last couple of trading days.  Vol remains elevated at about 87%.
  • Cryptocurrency prices have fallen recently which has led to a 19% decline this month in the price of Bitcoin futures.

That’s where we stand as we look to Wednesday’s FOMC decision on the Fed Funds target rate.  As always, we wish our readers a happy and safe weekend and we’ll see you on Monday.  

Today's Future Price Action

Traders Resources

The information in the market commentaries have been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but we do not guarantee its accuracy and expressly disclaim all liability. Neither the information nor any opinions expressed therein constitutes a solicitation of the purchase or sale of any futures or options contracts. The information on this site compiled by CME Group is for general purposes only. All information and data herein is provided as-is. Additionally, all examples on this site are hypothetical situations, used for explanation purposes only, and should not be considered investment advice or the results of actual market experience. CME Group assumes no responsibility for any errors or omissions. CME Group, its affiliates and any third party information and content providers expressly disclaim all liability with respect to the information and data contained herein including without limitation, any liability with respect to the accuracy or completeness of any data. You use the data herein solely at your own risk. All data and information provided herein is not intended for trading purposes or for trading advice. All matters pertaining to rules and specifications herein are made subject to and superseded by official CME, CBOT, NYMEX and COMEX rules. Current rules should be consulted in all cases concerning contract specifications.

Neither futures trading nor swaps trading are suitable for all investors, and each involves the risk of loss. Due to the leveraged nature of futures trading and swaps trading, it is possible to lose more than the amount deposited in a position. Therefore, traders should not deposit more funds than they can afford to lose without negatively affecting their lifestyles. A trader cannot expect to profit on each trade, and should only devote a small amount of their available funds to each trade. All references to options refer to options on futures.

Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future performance.

CME Group, the Globe Logo, Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Globex and CME are trademarks of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. CBOT is the trademark of the Board of Trade of the City of Chicago, Inc. NYMEX is the trademark of the New York Mercantile Exchange, Inc. COMEX is a trademark of Commodity Exchange, Inc. All other marks are the property of their respective owners. Each of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. (ARBN 103 432 391), The Board of Trade of the City of Chicago Inc (ARBN 110 594 459), the New York Mercantile Exchange Inc (ARBN 113 929 436) and Commodity Exchange, Inc. (ARBN 622 016 193) is a registered foreign company in Australia and holds an Australian market licence.

This site does not constitute a prospectus, product disclosure statement or legal advice, nor is it a recommendation to buy, sell or retain any specific investment or to utilise or refrain from utilising any particular service. Readers should consult their legal advisors for legal advice in connection with the matters covered on this site.

CME Group is the world’s leading derivatives marketplace. The company is comprised of four Designated Contract Markets (DCMs). 
Further information on each exchange's rules and product listings can be found by clicking on the links to CME, CBOT, NYMEX and COMEX.

© 2023 CME Group Inc. All rights reserved.