Key Takeaways with Craig

US financial markets continue to weigh corporate earnings, inflation readings, interest rate expectations and the health of the US economy.  Today, at least, that all added up to generally higher stock prices and lower yields.  Equity price gains were led by the Nasdaq, which in turn, was pushed higher by shares of Tesla stock which were up by nearly 10% after reporting second quarter earnings.  Somewhat unsurprisingly, given the stock market rally, implied volatility in the options markets declined, with Nasdaq vol trading at levels we last saw in mid-April. 

Treasury yields were lower across the board by between 9 and 16 basis points.  The 2-Year yield fell by between 15 basis points while the 10-Year was down by about 12.  However, the 2-Year and 10-Year yields were still inverted by just slightly less than 20 basis points, according to CME’s Micro Treasury Yield futures.  The July FOMC meeting remains solidly in play, as the market continues to weight the possibility of a 75 versus 100 basis point move.  As you can see from the excerpt from CME’s FedWatch tool below, the Fed Funds futures market is currently pricing in approximately a 73% chance of a 75 basis point hike and 27% chance of a 100 basis point hike.  As you can see, a week ago, the market was pricing a 45% chance of a 100 basis point move.   

Other notable price moves at CME today include:

  • Grains futures markets, which were broadly lower
  • WTI Crude Oil futures, which were down by about 3.5%
  • Most major currencies were higher relative to the US Dollar in CME futures markets, perhaps as a result of lower Treasury yields
Today's Future Price Action

Traders Resources

The information in the market commentaries have been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but we do not guarantee its accuracy and expressly disclaim all liability. Neither the information nor any opinions expressed therein constitutes a solicitation of the purchase or sale of any futures or options contracts. The information on this site compiled by CME Group is for general purposes only. All information and data herein is provided as-is. Additionally, all examples on this site are hypothetical situations, used for explanation purposes only, and should not be considered investment advice or the results of actual market experience. CME Group assumes no responsibility for any errors or omissions. CME Group, its affiliates and any third party information and content providers expressly disclaim all liability with respect to the information and data contained herein including without limitation, any liability with respect to the accuracy or completeness of any data. You use the data herein solely at your own risk. All data and information provided herein is not intended for trading purposes or for trading advice. All matters pertaining to rules and specifications herein are made subject to and superseded by official CME, CBOT, NYMEX and COMEX rules. Current rules should be consulted in all cases concerning contract specifications.

Neither futures trading nor swaps trading are suitable for all investors, and each involves the risk of loss. Due to the leveraged nature of futures trading and swaps trading, it is possible to lose more than the amount deposited in a position. Therefore, traders should not deposit more funds than they can afford to lose without negatively affecting their lifestyles. A trader cannot expect to profit on each trade, and should only devote a small amount of their available funds to each trade. All references to options refer to options on futures.

Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future performance.

CME Group, the Globe Logo, Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Globex and CME are trademarks of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. CBOT is the trademark of the Board of Trade of the City of Chicago, Inc. NYMEX is the trademark of the New York Mercantile Exchange, Inc. COMEX is a trademark of Commodity Exchange, Inc. All other marks are the property of their respective owners. Each of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. (ARBN 103 432 391), The Board of Trade of the City of Chicago Inc (ARBN 110 594 459), the New York Mercantile Exchange Inc (ARBN 113 929 436) and Commodity Exchange, Inc. (ARBN 622 016 193) is a registered foreign company in Australia and holds an Australian market licence.

This site does not constitute a prospectus, product disclosure statement or legal advice, nor is it a recommendation to buy, sell or retain any specific investment or to utilise or refrain from utilising any particular service. Readers should consult their legal advisors for legal advice in connection with the matters covered on this site.

CME Group is the world’s leading derivatives marketplace. The company is comprised of four Designated Contract Markets (DCMs). 
Further information on each exchange's rules and product listings can be found by clicking on the links to CME, CBOT, NYMEX and COMEX.

© 2024 CME Group Inc. All rights reserved.