At-a-Glance

Key Takeaways with Craig

The market volatility we saw to close out last week continued into today’s session as US Equity prices fell sharply again today.  In the last two trading sessions, we’ve seen 30-day implied volatility in the E-mini Nasdaq-100 options increase from about 30% to nearly 37.5%, though that number is still below some of the readings we saw in the middle of May.  Also, the 25-Delta Puts have been bid relative to the Calls over the last couple of trading days but, again, not the extent we saw in the middle of May. 

US Treasury prices also sold off sharply which means that yields rallied today.  According to the Micro US Treasury Futures prices the 2-Year yield is currently trading at about the same yield as the 10-Year after inverting last night.  As we’ve talked about from time to time in this column, historically, when the 2s versus 10s have inverted, it has oftentimes been followed by a recession.  Again, according to the Micro Treasury Yield futures, the net daily changes were as follows:

  • 2-Year: +30 basis points
  • 5-Year:  +24.5 basis points
  • 10-Year:  +22.5 basis points
  • 30-Year:  +17 basis points

The higher than expected CPI number from Friday has led to much speculation about what the Fed will do at the end of the FOMC meeting on Wednesday.  While there is some discussion about a 75 basis point hike in the financial press, CME Group’s Fedwatch tool is pricing in a nearly 72% chance of a 50 basis point hike to its Fed Funds target rate and a 28% chance of a 75 basis point hike.  One week ago, the tool was pricing in a 97% chance of a 50 basis point hike. 

We’ll leave our readers with a QuikStrike graph of the 2-Year Treasury options risk reversal (25 Delta Call volatility minus Put volatility).  As  you can see, with today’s price move in the 2-Year, the Puts were bid dramatically over the calls relative to where they’ve been over the last three months.  Remember, these are the traditional CME Group 2-Year Treasury futures that are quoted in price, not yield, which, as we alluded to above, move inversely to one another.  

Today's Future Price Action

Traders Resources

The information in the market commentaries have been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but we do not guarantee its accuracy and expressly disclaim all liability. Neither the information nor any opinions expressed therein constitutes a solicitation of the purchase or sale of any futures or options contracts. The information on this site compiled by CME Group is for general purposes only. All information and data herein is provided as-is. Additionally, all examples on this site are hypothetical situations, used for explanation purposes only, and should not be considered investment advice or the results of actual market experience. CME Group assumes no responsibility for any errors or omissions. CME Group, its affiliates and any third party information and content providers expressly disclaim all liability with respect to the information and data contained herein including without limitation, any liability with respect to the accuracy or completeness of any data. You use the data herein solely at your own risk. All data and information provided herein is not intended for trading purposes or for trading advice. All matters pertaining to rules and specifications herein are made subject to and superseded by official CME, CBOT, NYMEX and COMEX rules. Current rules should be consulted in all cases concerning contract specifications.

Neither futures trading nor swaps trading are suitable for all investors, and each involves the risk of loss. Due to the leveraged nature of futures trading and swaps trading, it is possible to lose more than the amount deposited in a position. Therefore, traders should not deposit more funds than they can afford to lose without negatively affecting their lifestyles. A trader cannot expect to profit on each trade, and should only devote a small amount of their available funds to each trade. All references to options refer to options on futures.

Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future performance.

CME Group, the Globe Logo, Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Globex and CME are trademarks of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. CBOT is the trademark of the Board of Trade of the City of Chicago, Inc. NYMEX is the trademark of the New York Mercantile Exchange, Inc. COMEX is a trademark of Commodity Exchange, Inc. All other marks are the property of their respective owners. Each of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. (ARBN 103 432 391), The Board of Trade of the City of Chicago Inc (ARBN 110 594 459), the New York Mercantile Exchange Inc (ARBN 113 929 436) and Commodity Exchange, Inc. (ARBN 622 016 193) is a registered foreign company in Australia and holds an Australian market licence.

This site does not constitute a prospectus, product disclosure statement or legal advice, nor is it a recommendation to buy, sell or retain any specific investment or to utilise or refrain from utilising any particular service. Readers should consult their legal advisors for legal advice in connection with the matters covered on this site.

CME Group is the world’s leading derivatives marketplace. The company is comprised of four Designated Contract Markets (DCMs). 
Further information on each exchange's rules and product listings can be found by clicking on the links to CME, CBOT, NYMEX and COMEX.

© 2022 CME Group Inc. All rights reserved.