Key Takeaways with Craig

Almost all CME Group products reversed recent price trends today as US Equity Indexes rose while WTI Crude Oil, Gold and Grains futures prices fell.  WTI Crude Oil prices fell by over 11% in the April contract expiration while implied volatility in the options fell but remains very elevated relative to the last three months.  Also, WTI Crude Oil Call options continue to trade at a significantly higher vol than the Puts. 

US Treasury yields rose again and implied volatility in CME’s 10-Year Treasury Options has fallen from about 9% to 7% in the last two trading sessions.  CME Group’s FedWatch tool continues to price in a 25 basis point hike to the Fed Funds target rate at next week’s FOMC meeting.  The same tool is suggesting a 66% chance for an additional 25 basis points and a 34% chance of an additional 50 basis points at the May 4th meeting. 

Bitcoin futures prices rose sharply today, up by about 9% in the front month contract while implied volatility continued to rise in the options market.  As you can see from the blue line in the QuikStrike graph below, 30-day implied volatility in Bitcoin options at CME is back around 75%.  Since CME introduced Bitcoin options, they have often traded at higher implied volatilities than any other CME products.  However, with the recent price moves, both WTI Crude Oil and Wheat 30-day implied volatility continue to trade at levels higher than Bitcoin, though both have come off of their highs.  Remember, CME Group will be launching options on its Micro Ether and Micro Bitcoin contracts on March 28th giving market participants more ways to manage exposure to top Cryptocurrencies.   

Today's Future Price Action

Traders Resources

The information in the market commentaries have been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, but we do not guarantee its accuracy and expressly disclaim all liability. Neither the information nor any opinions expressed therein constitutes a solicitation of the purchase or sale of any futures or options contracts. The information on this site compiled by CME Group is for general purposes only. All information and data herein is provided as-is. Additionally, all examples on this site are hypothetical situations, used for explanation purposes only, and should not be considered investment advice or the results of actual market experience. CME Group assumes no responsibility for any errors or omissions. CME Group, its affiliates and any third party information and content providers expressly disclaim all liability with respect to the information and data contained herein including without limitation, any liability with respect to the accuracy or completeness of any data. You use the data herein solely at your own risk. All data and information provided herein is not intended for trading purposes or for trading advice. All matters pertaining to rules and specifications herein are made subject to and superseded by official CME, CBOT, NYMEX and COMEX rules. Current rules should be consulted in all cases concerning contract specifications.

Neither futures trading nor swaps trading are suitable for all investors, and each involves the risk of loss. Due to the leveraged nature of futures trading and swaps trading, it is possible to lose more than the amount deposited in a position. Therefore, traders should not deposit more funds than they can afford to lose without negatively affecting their lifestyles. A trader cannot expect to profit on each trade, and should only devote a small amount of their available funds to each trade. All references to options refer to options on futures.

Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future performance.

CME Group, the Globe Logo, Chicago Mercantile Exchange, Globex and CME are trademarks of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. CBOT is the trademark of the Board of Trade of the City of Chicago, Inc. NYMEX is the trademark of the New York Mercantile Exchange, Inc. COMEX is a trademark of Commodity Exchange, Inc. All other marks are the property of their respective owners. Each of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. (ARBN 103 432 391), The Board of Trade of the City of Chicago Inc (ARBN 110 594 459), the New York Mercantile Exchange Inc (ARBN 113 929 436) and Commodity Exchange, Inc. (ARBN 622 016 193) is a registered foreign company in Australia and holds an Australian market licence.

This site does not constitute a prospectus, product disclosure statement or legal advice, nor is it a recommendation to buy, sell or retain any specific investment or to utilise or refrain from utilising any particular service. Readers should consult their legal advisors for legal advice in connection with the matters covered on this site.

CME Group is the world’s leading derivatives marketplace. The company is comprised of four Designated Contract Markets (DCMs). 
Further information on each exchange's rules and product listings can be found by clicking on the links to CME, CBOT, NYMEX and COMEX.

© 2024 CME Group Inc. All rights reserved.