In addition to Quote Acknowledgment messages received in response to Quote Cancel messages, client systems can also receive unsolicited Quote Acknowledgment messages in response to cancels initiated by the CME Globex platform. The unsolicited cancel code is contained in tag 9775-UnsolicitedCancelTypes; the reason text will not be sent in the message.
Quote Cancel – iLink 2.X Gateway Logoff and Failure Scenarios
CME Group provides a quote cancellation program whereby the CME Global Command Center (GCC), on a best-efforts basis, attempts to send Quote Cancel messages on behalf of the customer in the following two situations:
- The CME Globex platform detects a system failure that does not automatically cancel quotes when the Mass Quote customer logs off of an iLink 2.X session. If the Mass Quote customer is experiencing difficulties with their logoff attempt, GCC will attempt to send Quote Cancel messages for the Mass Quote customer.
- During certain CME Globex platform connectivity failure situations, GCC will attempt to send Quote Cancel messages on behalf of the Mass Quote customer.
When a disconnect is detected without preceding Quote Cancel messages, the GCC will attempt to cancel resting quotes on behalf of the Mass Quote customer. CME Group cannot guarantee that all failure scenarios will necessarily generate the appropriate Quote Cancel messages and/or alert mechanisms. Therefore, client systems submitting Mass Quotes must always explicitly cancel all quotes before logging off. In the case of a disconnection, Mass Quote customers must verify their quote status either by immediately reconnecting and logging in to confirm the quote cancellation, or by calling the GCC to request resubmission of Quote Cancel messages on their behalf.
Cancellation Exception – Out-of-Sequence Cancel All Message
Under normal market conditions, CME Globex evaluates inbound messages in the order they are received. However, it is possible, though highly unlikely, that CME Globex may evaluate a Cancel All message prior to evaluating its corresponding Mass Quote message, even if the Mass Quote is sent in before the Cancel All.
In such a scenario, CME Globex cancels all quotes on the book and sends a confirmation to the user. However, the cancellation will NOT include quotes in the Mass Quote message that CME Globex evaluated AFTER the Cancel All message. In such case, the quotes will not appear on the book nor will CME Globex send a cancel confirmation to the user.
A customer sends messages in the following order:
- Mass Quote 1 to add 50 quotes to the book.
- Mass Quote 2 to add 25 more quotes to the book (none are cancel/replace).
- Cancel All. This message is sent almost simultaneously with Mass Quote 2 due as the result of either a hard disconnect or a user entry.
CME Globex platform evaluates the messages in the following order:
- Mass Quote 1 - CME Globex adds 50 quotes to the system.
- Cancel All - CME Globex cancels all 50 quotes for Mass Q1 from the book and sends a cancellation confirmation.
- Mass Quote 2 - CME Globex ignores the quotes in this message. The customer receives no acknowledgment or cancellation information for these 25 quotes.
Comparison of Out-of-Sequence Events
Number of Quotes in Book
Mass Quote 1
Objective of inbound message: Add 50 quotes to the customer's book.
Evaluation result: System adds 50 quotes to the customer's book.
Mass Quote 2
Objective of inbound message: Add 25 quotes to the customer's book (none are cancel/replace).
Evaluation result: Because the timestamp indicates evaluation is out of sequence,
Objective of inbound message: Cancel All resting quotes from Mass Quote 1 and Mass Quote 2 messages.
Evaluation result: The system cancels the 50 quotes Mass Quote 1 on the book and sends a Cancel message to the customer confirming that 50 quotes were cancelled.
Receiving an Execution Report (tag 35-MsgType=8) Message
The Execution Report includes the QuoteEntryID to indicate:
- Fill Notice if a trade is the result of a quote.
- Trade cancellation (trade "busted" by CME Global Command Center (GCC)
Execution Report Fields Relevant to Mass Quotes
*Side. The parameter values are: 1=buy 2=sell
*Instrument group of the contract.
Tag 1-Account, tag 54-Side and tag 55-Symbol are used for all Trade Cancellation notices involving both Mass Quote related messages and orders. Acknowledgments received for quotes and orders are structurally identical. An acknowledgment for a quote contains the QuoteEntryID in tag 11-ClOrdID. The client system must be able to correlate quotes with acknowledgments using the tag 11-QuoteEntryID as the key.