7:30 - 8:00 AM:
Registration opens and Continental Breakfast (Breakfast available until 9:30)
8:00 - 9:15 AM: Commodity Investing 101
(Optional - pre-conference workshop)
Discuss the role of commodities in a portfolio – diversification tool and hedge for inflation. Understand the importance of the structure of a commodities investment. Explore the difference between the major benchmarks and between investing in commodity futures vs. commodity-related equities. Bring questions – or email them to the organizer [firstname.lastname@example.org]
9:15 - 9:30 AM:
- Melanie Petsch, Founder and Senior Quantitative Research, Petsch Analytics, LLC.; Adjunct Professor, Columbia Business School
Continental Breakfast and Break
9:30 - 9:45 AM:
CME Group and Conference Moderator Introduction
9:45 - 10:45 AM: Structural Drivers of Commodity Returns
- Event M.C. - Aaron M. Cunningham, Director of Research and Analytics, Pensions & Investments
Explore the opportunities to capture premium by understanding supply and demand imbalances, backwardation and contango, demand and growth in China and other emerging markets, the theory of storage, and more.
10:50 - 11:50 AM: The Role of Speculators in the Market
- Moderator - George Martin, Principal, Alternative Investment Analytics, LLC; Associate Director at CISDM at the University of Massachusetts
- Ilia Bouchouev, Managing Director, Global Head of Energy Derivatives, Koch Supply & Trading, L.P.
- Robert McNally, Founder and President, The Rapidan Group
- Boris Shrayer, Managing Director, Head of Global Commodities Marketing and Strategy, Morgan Stanley
- Dr. Sykes Wilford, Frank W. Hipp Distinguished Professor of Business, the Citadel
Examine the ongoing debate put forth by the UN, IMF, and public interest groups (such as Finance Watch) which propose that speculating in commodity markets has driven up food prices and represents a threat to society. It's the hot button faced by many public funds in making an asset allocation decision toward commodities.
11:50 AM - 12:10 PM:
- Moderator - Kevin Becker, MD, CEO, Kiski Alpha Partners
- Blake Clayton, Fellow for Energy and National Security, Council for Foreign Relations
- Sal Gilbertie, President, Chief Investment Officer and co-founder of Teucrium
- James F. Heneghan, Senior Trader, Grains Division, Louis Dreyfus Commodities
- Craig Pirrong, Professor of Finance; Director, Global Energy Management Institute – Bauer College of Business, University of Houston
Break and Bob Greer Book Signing
12:10 - 1:35 PM: Luncheon Keynote: Robert Greer
"The History and Benefits of Index Investing, with a Look to the Future--Challenges and Opportunities"
1:35 - 2:35 PM: Accessing Commodities
Understand the differences in performance patterns, correlation benefits, inflation-hedging and market access of the various commodity-investing vehicles (ETFs vs. ETNs, passive vs. active long-only funds, hedge funds and CTAs).
2:40 - 3:00 PM: Understanding the Regulatory Landscape for Commodity Investments
- Moderator - Dan Raab, Managing Director and Head of Commodity Investor Marketing and Structuring, UBS
- Nathan Ebeling, Partner and Head of Trading, Ospraie Management
- Jason Gerstein, Quantitative Portfolio Manager, Tudor’s Systems Trading Group
- Doug Hepworth, Director of Research, Gresham Investment Management
- Hans Kumar, Portfolio Manager; Director of Research, AC Investment Management
- Martin Kremenstein, CIO & COO at DB Commodity Servies LLC.
3:00 - 3:10 PM:
- Moderator - Thomas LaSala, Managing Director, Chief Regulatory Officer, CME Group
3:10 - 4:10 PM: Commodities: An Asset Class or an Investment?
Review the role of commodities in a portfolio and how market timing can affect the optimal allocation.
4:15 - 5:15 PM: Pitching your Board: Framing the Investment Case for a Commodity Allocation
- Moderator - Michael Dubin, Managing Director, Silvercrest Asset Management
- Adam De Chiara, Co-President and Portfolio Manager, CoreCommodity Management, LLC
- Adam Dunsby, Partner, SummerHaven Investment Management
- Nelson Louie, Global Head of Commodities, Credit Suisse Asset Management, LLC
- John Mulvey, Professor of Operations Research and Financial Engineering at Princeton University and Chairman of DPT Capital Management
5:15 - 5:25 PM:
- Moderator - Jack McManmon, Windhaven Investment Management
- Mary Ann Bartels, Head of Technical & Market Analysis, Bank Of America Merrill Lynch Global Research
- Nick Koutsoftas, Senior Vice President & Portfolio Manager, Commodities, GE Asset Management
- David Morton, Co-Head of Alternatives Research, Rocaton
- Chris Solarz, Director, Cliffwater LLC
Final Commentary from CME Group
5:30 - 7:00 PM:
By invitation only, managers will be allowed to join the all-investor conference attendees for cocktails and exploratory investment discussions.