|Month over Month||0.2%||-0.2%||-0.2%|
|Year over Year||0.4%||0.4%|
Consumer prices were weaker than expected in October. However, with base effects positive, a 0.2 percent monthly decline was still firm enough to leave the annual inflation rate unchanged at 0.4 percent, equalling its highest mark since the middle of 2014.
The flash HICP also dropped 0.2 percent versus September which, in turn saw its yearly rate similarly steady at 0.5 percent.
Unchanged annual inflation reflected a pick-up in energy (0.8 percent from minus 1.1 percent) that was essentially offset by weaker food (minus 0.1 percent after 0.5 percent). The rate in overall manufacturing was stable at minus 0.6 percent but services softened by a couple of ticks to 1.0 percent.
The deceleration in service sector inflation is not good news and with third quarter GDP showing only a minimal rise in final domestic demand, the near-term outlook for underlying French inflation remains soft.
The consumer price index (CPI) is a measure of the average price level of a fixed basket of goods and services purchased by consumers. Monthly and annual changes in the CPI represent the main rates of inflation. The national CPI is released alongside the HICP, Eurostat's harmonized measure of consumer prices. A flash estimate was released for the first time in January 2016 and is now published towards the end of each reference month.
The consumer price index is the most widely followed indicator of inflation. An investor who understands how inflation influences the markets will benefit over those investors that do not understand the impact. In countries where monetary policy decisions rest on the central bank's inflation target, the rate of inflation directly affects all interest rates charged to business and the consumer. As a member of the European Monetary Union, France's interest rates are set by the European Central Bank.
France like other EMU countries has both a national CPI and a harmonized index of consumer prices (HICP). The HICP is calculated to give a comparable inflation measure for the EMU. Components and weights within the national CPI vary from other countries, reflecting national idiosyncrasies.
Inflation is an increase in the overall prices of goods and services. The relationship between inflation and interest rates is the key to understanding how indicators such as the CPI influence the markets - and your investments. As the rate of inflation changes and as expectations on inflation change, the markets adjust interest rates. The effect ripples across stocks, bonds, commodities, and your portfolio, often in a dramatic fashion.
By tracking inflation, whether high or low, rising or falling, investors can anticipate how different types of investments will perform. Over the long run, the bond market will rally (fall) when increases in the CPI are small (large). The equity market rallies with the bond market because low inflation promises low interest rates and is good for profits.
CME Group is the world's leading and most diverse derivatives marketplace. The company is comprised of four Designated Contract Markets (DCMs). Further information on each exchange's rules and product listings can be found by clicking on the links to CME, CBOT, NYMEX and COMEX.